THE "no-hack" solution for the safest autonomous vehicles
The focus of our safety first approach to deploying urban autonomous vehicles, our drive-by-wire control of steering, brakes, acceleration and ancillaries has been designed by an expert team with years of automotive experience.
Rather than "hack" into a vehicles existing power control systems, we build a "driving robot" which works with the vehicle and replicates the driver. This is by far the safest way of implementing autonomous control on top of a manufacturers own systems design.
6 Points of safety
At StreetDrone we have a safety approach second to none, and borne out of our experience in working in the automotive and motor racing sectors. Our 6 points approach is unique and focused on ensuring that the safety driver is completely aware of any vehicle or software issues at all times.
1. No hacking - existing OEM systems MUST be left to do their job
2. No single point of failure - multiple sensors ensure that any failures result in hand-back to the safety driver
3. Open data - our customer CAN bus data system ensures that all critical vehicle control data is recorded for analysis
4. Clear HMI (human-machine interface) - lights and sounds ensure that the safety driver is aware of who (or what) is in control at all times
5. Rules based vehicle dynamics - our vehicles "understand" their own capabilities and can refuse commands on the basis of safety
6. Multi-action activation - we make it almost impossible for the safety driver to accidentally engage autonomous mode
open VEHICLE CONTROL
The StreetDrone drive-by-wire system comes with a customer 'CANbus" data network that provides the connection to and from our vehicle controllers. This means complete access to all control systems data and full control of the vehicle.
Our vehicle interface is open source and can be viewed on our GITHUB.